Digital Transformation in Oil and Gas Industry
Going digital is a critical enabler in oil and gas. It is helping Oil & Gas companies to reduce costs, make faster and better decisions, and increase employee efficiency and productivity. For a large number of oil and gas companies, it is a big challenge to translate digital ability into growth opportunities.
Before embarking on digital transformation, it is imperative to understand that a transformation is not just about a technology change. It is about a difference in the organizational structure with a profound impact on people, processes, and infrastructure across different facilities, equipment, and technology.
While other industries have unlocked the real value of digital transformation in core businesses, operations, supply chain management, inventory management and through new business models within and across sectors, Oil & gas is slowly exploring the value of digital transformation.
Find how oil and gas organizations can transform business models to pave the way to digital growth. To make advancement in production performance, there is a demand for a fresh perspective on-field operations with digital innovation. Sophisticated analytics solutions generate timely insights from historical, real-time data to predict failures as well as optimize plans related to maintenance.
Understanding equipment criticality, costs of maintenance, lifespan, and the probable impact on production efficiency can reduce costs and increase the life of fields.
Digital Transformation using Emerging Technologies
The digital transformation consulting services goes beyond embracing specific digital capabilities. An enterprise needs to have a comprehensive outlook while defining the roadmap towards digital transformation. Organization change management is an extremely critical aspect when adopting digital transformation.
A robust strategy needs to be defined to ramp up an organizational transition from the current state to the future state. There should be a complete agreement regarding KPIs and commitment to change the process to demonstrate active and visible support.
Key Areas Benefiting from Digital Transformation
New emerging technologies such as IoT, AR & VR, Big Data Analytics combined with data-driven insights can transform operations, enhance agility and help in strategic decision-making, and build new business models.
- Monitoring an asset’s status in real time
- Predictive forecasting empowered by analytics and robotics results in lower costs related to maintenance costs and lower assets downtime
- Emissions monitoring and control and release management
- Real-time machine and sensor integration and real-time alerts
- Resource planning and dashboard to trigger maintenance workflow, plant dashboards, and trend analysis and limiting data leakages
- Improve operational efficiency, safety, and minimize maintenance costs.
In this blog, we will find out the impact of digital transformation on the Oil & Gas Industry. Amidst fluctuation in oil prices, there is growing pressure to improve operational efficiencies with emerging technologies.
AR/VR in Oil and Gas: Enhancing Safety and Productivity
Oil and gas companies are facing overwhelming challenges when it comes to training and development. It grapples with complexities such as oil and gas location which are not easily accessible as oil and gas production takes place in remote areas, onshore and offshore. In most cases, oil and gas rigs are accessible only by air or boat, which adds to training costs. This industry requires humans interacting with heavy, flammable equipment, explosive and sometimes poisonous materials to ensure that staff is trained to operate equipment safely.
Augmented and Virtual reality technologies help plan and schedule operational procedures, train workers and meet health and safety requirements. Digital transformation is eliminating the barriers of distances by connecting field workers with more experienced colleagues. This ultimately minimizes costly project delays and mitigates project risks.
- Validation technologies, allowing new designs and business processes to be adequately measured and assessed.
- Simulated situations for training with the ability to practice dealing with issues in the workplace.
- On-site monitoring, data collection and instant reporting.
- EH&S adherence through AR and scanning technology.
Predictive Analytics & Machine Learning in Oil and Gas
Predictive analytics, machine learning, and robotics can drastically improve project execution, installation, and decommissioning for smarter asset planning.
- Exploration efforts for using historical drilling and production data. This set of information can validate assumption in the analysis of a field where environmental regulations restrict new surveys.
- Increase predicting drilling success to increase monitoring to identify anomalies based on multiple conditions to predict the likelihood of drilling success and completion of the project.
Artificial Intelligence in Oil and Gas
Inspection processes are at the core of oil and gas companies. AI-powered robots can identify anomalies in the equipment, detect abnormal behavior in the equipment, or carry frequent inspections.
- AI-enabled drones to inspect pipelines and record real-time footage to detect cracks or leaks in the pipelines.
- Oil and gas companies can assure the safety of work sites during critical situations such as gas leaks as AI-powered robots can help make informed decisions about mitigation strategies.
- Oil reservoirs help run oil and gas business and need to maintain the production cycle.
- Seismic interpretation, geology and production techniques are involved in reservoir management.
Industrial IoT can bridge the gap between operations-related technology and information technology. This lets machine-generated, voluminous, and unstructured data to analyze insights that drive improvements in design and execution, leading to smarter, faster decision-making and M2M communications.
- Deployment of IoT-based smart energy solutions for enhanced field communication.
- Reduced cost of maintenance, real-time monitoring, and greater safety and security of assets. This leads to higher productivity.
The critical challenges faced by oil and gas companies in operations include managing uptime of oil and gas installations. With capacities that surpass demand, delays extend shutdowns and reduce uptime is unacceptable.
The beginning of digital transformation in Oil and Gas industry can be daunting. However, it is the excitement of new, digitally enabled opportunities ahead. It is essential to have a strategic roadmap to assess every operation and identify digital leaps to achieve business objectives.